Skip navigation

Traffic Obstruction Permit

Traffic Obstruction road booking

You must obtain a Traffic Obstruction Permit before you obstruct or temporarily close any road, cycling, or pedestrian facility for any reason.

How to Apply

Applications for a Traffic Obstruction Permit may be made:

  1. Online, or
  2. In person at City Hall


Find the permit fee in Schedule B of the Highways and Traffic Bylaw.

Required Documents

You must submit 4 items as part of your Traffic Obstruction Permit Application Package.

  1. Traffic Management Plan: You must submit a site-specific Traffic Management Plan, designed in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation and Highways, Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways (1999 ed) with Arterial, Collector and Local roads with a significant obstruction (road closure). Follow our Traffic Management Plan Requirements to make your submission. You don't need to submit traffic management plans or drawings with local roads with minor obstructions, including requests for storage container/bin in parking areas. As the applicant, you must provide the traffic control figure number that will be implemented.
  2. Certificate of Insurance Form: This form must name the City of Surrey as an additional insured for the minimum amount of 5 million dollars.
  3. Designation of Prime Contractor Form: You, as the applicant, will be named as the Prime Contractor on the permit and will be responsible for the Health and Safety of all persons on the job site.  This designation of prime contractor form is not required to be submitted for servicing agreement projects. Complete this form for Capital Construction Projects or  this form for other purposes.
  4. City of Surrey Business License

Apply Online

After Your Permit is Issued

After a Traffic Obstruction Permit is issued, if it states a "Request to Proceed" is required the permit holder must book the actual dates the permit will be implemented using our online Road Booking Service. Road booking is required on arterial, collector, and some local roads.

Once a booking request is received, the City will review and issue an Authorization to Proceed.

Traffic Control Manager

Your Traffic Control Manager will be responsible for all aspects of your traffic control and will be the City's point of contact for any matters related to traffic control, and must be available at any time while the obstruction is underway. A Traffic Manager is permit-specific. You are able to select different individuals for different permits, if required.

If the Traffic Control Manager's contact information changes, please contact or visit the Engineering Front Counter at City Hall.

Other permit information

Related Content

Road Booking

Traffic Obstruction Permit holders must book arterial, collector and some local roads before using their permit.

Road Closures and Obstructions

Find out about current and planned road closures in Surrey so you can plan your trip.